Looking at the 1841 census returns for Tynemouth, one is tempted to wonder if the needs of the distinguished visitors requiring sea-bathing may have dictated the site of the new church. The actual population of Front Street and its associated lanes was little more than 1000. However there were 33 lodging-housekeepers and five inns.
Sir John was an assistant Poor Law Commissioner, responsible for reforming the Poor Law system in the North East.
On 16th April 1861 by Order in council, Holy Saviour's was formally separated from the mother church of Tynemouth (Christ Church) and described as "the district Chapelry of Tynemouth Priory". The new living had been offered by the Patron, the Duke of Northumberland, to the Revd Thomas Featherstone on 21st November 1860.
The church has gone on from strength to strength and is still a large part of life in Tynemouth, 11 vicars have followed in Thomas Featherstone's footsteps with the help of 21 curates to date.
Keepers. By 1846, when the village had begun to spread westwards, 91 lodging houses were advertised and there were 15 inns. this floating population might not have prompted ecclesiastical recognition, but in 1841 the occupant of Tynemouth House was Sir John Walsham, with his wife, 6 children, a governess and 8 servants.